Thursday, January 6, 2011

Swinging for the Fences

I've been hearing a lot about bucket lists lately.  You know, the things you want to do or accomplish in your life before you "kick the bucket".  And I've kind of come to the conclusion that I need to add some stuff to mine, because right now there's pretty much nothing on it.  I mean, I always knew that I wanted to fall in love and get married and have babies (check, check, and check), but other than that I've never really had any wild dreams or goals or fantasies of doing crazy shenanigans around the globe.

I have this very vivid memory of my high school softball coach pulling me aside and telling me that he wanted me to strike out the next time I was up to bat.  That's right - he wanted me to swing and miss on purpose.  Because I never struck out.  I think I had the lowest number of strike outs on the entire team, something I was proud of at the time.  But you know what?  I never hit any home runs, either.  And maybe it's because I'm turning thirty this year, or maybe it's because I have a daughter I want to set a good example for, but I really, really, really don't want that to be the metaphor for my life.  

It's time to start swinging for the fences.  This blog is part of that - putting my thoughts out there for others to read.  What if I suck?  What if people think I'm full of it?  What if no one cares?  So be it. At least I tried.  I have a few other ideas running around in my head, but more on those to come later.

For now, I'm going to cross a few things off from today's list.  Like snuggling with that sniffly little girl I hope to inspire someday, drinking coffee, and getting dressed before Mike comes home from work.  Baby steps, right?

1 comment:

  1. So far so NOT sucky. Can't wait to see what else ends up on the list.

    ReplyDelete