Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Lovely Little Weekend

Since we moved back to Michigan, Mike has made it his mission to seek out new and interesting things for us to do - little adventures for our little family to take.  I have to say, I'm loving it.  One of the things I miss the most about our life in South Carolina is the exploring we used to do.  When you're living in a brand new place with no friends and not a whole lot going on, you're much more inclined to seek out excitement.  In Greenville we had our fill of hiking in the mountains, small town Friday night football games, and discovering new places to eat.  In Michigan, we've definitely lost a little bit of our exploring ways.  With a baby keeping us occupied and lots of friends and family to spend time with, we haven't had as many opportunities to hit the road in search of something new.

That's where Mike's plan comes in.  He's been finding all kinds of fun things, and I'm pretty much always game.  Besides, I'm a stay-at-home mom - I'll jump at any chance I can get to escape our house!  We've been to a polo match, a ham radio demonstration, and snowshoeing, to name just a few.  And last night, we did this...



   
    
Can you see Drew Barrymore?



























Bonaventure?  Is that you?  Is it time to shoot the duck??

That's right...the roller derby!  Other than Whip It!,  I had no idea what to expect.  I was sort of picturing the roller rink from my middle-school days, but let me tell you that these chicks are tough.  And they get to wear pretty cool outfits, too.  And they had awesome names like Dawn K. Kong and Gluteus Maxine.  The people watching might have been the best part, though, and this little girl wins the prize for being the cutest:






Well...maybe these girls are the cutest...




I don't think I'll be joining the Lansing Derby Vixens anytime in the near future ever, but it was neat to see all kinds of little girls cheering for women who were gritty and tough and doing something they loved.

Sandwiched around our night on the town was a nine-mile run (yes, you read that right - nine miles!), an afternoon at Costco with my parents, and a lazy Sunday spent knitting, drinking coffee, and putting the finishing touches on a little something for my valentine.

Any suggestions for our next adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment