Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Back to Life, Back to Reality

It seems as though I've been neglecting this poor little blog, and for all five of you who actually read it, I apologize.  Anna and I had a busy week basking in the Florida sun, and it's taken me longer than I thought it would to get back into the swing of things at home.  Throw in a Master's project and a lost hour from Daylight Savings Time, and blog writing just went right out the window.

Here's a little bit of catch up...

Anna survived her first plane ride.  I admit that I was totally nervous, but she did much better than I expected.  My days of enjoying plane rides while scouring the pages of trashy gossip magazines and Sky Mall catalogs and chomping on airline peanuts might be over, but my child did not scream the entire flight nor did I need to brave the airplane bathroom to change a diaper.  I consider that a big, fat win.

Who, me?  Cause trouble?  Never!  Now, pass me that Sky Mall catalog...


Our week in Florida with Kristin and Drew was awesome.  We ate yummy food, road tripped it down to the Florida Keys, and took Anna to the beach for the first time.  I also managed to squeeze in an eleven mile run and a brunch with some old high school friends I hadn't seen in seven or eight years.  The only thing missing was Mike, who was stuck at home working.  We missed him like crazy, and I think I began to realize just how important to my sanity having him by my side is.  Yes, I was with my parents and sister and brother-in-law, and they were all more than willing to chase Anna around and keep her from chewing on electric cords occupied, but there's no substitute for our number one guy.

Anna and her favorite Auntie

You want me to put my feet in the water?
Oh, hell, to the no!


There were a couple of times during the week that I couldn't help but feel like I was in high school again.  My parents, sister, and I spent so much time down in Florida, being back there brought on a whole flood of memories.  With Mike at home in Michigan, and Drew busy training, we had a few afternoons with the original Schrock clan, plus one cute little addition.  We went on bike rides, and visited a few of our favorite places, we even got Slurpees one afternoon.  It was kind of neat to be a foursome again, and it got me thinking about all the memories Mike and I will be able to make with our own family.

Back home, my pathetic attempt at a tan is already fading, the coconut-y smell of sunscreen has been washed out of all our clothes, and I think I finally got the last of the sand out of the diaper bag.  Reality has been calling, and after a couple of weeks of sending him straight to voicemail, it's time to pick up the phone.  And that's ok.  Because, as it turns out, reality is actually a pretty cool dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment