Friday, April 29, 2011

It's the Final Countdown!

The Rocky theme song has been buzzing around in my head for the last few days, with good reason. (Side note: the Rocky theme song is infinitely better than the other song that's been constantly stuck in my head lately, the theme song from Elmo's World. Seriously. Those Sesame Street people don't mess around. Not only is Anna crying out for that fuzzy red creature, but Mike and I find ourselves humming that darn song at all hours. Well played, Elmo. Well played.)

On Sunday, my miles and miles of training will pay off when I hopefully cross the finish line of the Flying Pig Half Marathon. I've been a little worried the past few weeks - vacations and training don't always seem to go hand in hand, and our trip to North Carolina, while lovely and relaxing, wasn't exactly conducive to getting my miles in. That twelve miler that I was supposed to do? Not so much. More like eight, with a side of red wine. I kind of want to kick myself, because I've been pretty religious about strictly following my training program. But what are you gonna do?

That's where Rocky Balboa comes in. This is also the part where I admit that I'm a huge dork, because I'm totally a believer in envisioning things in my head going a certain way, and I'm really convinced it works. I think it was my dad who first taught me this, back when I was playing softball. Want to throw a strike? Imagine yourself doing it. Drive in the winning run? Smack a line drive in your mind. I tucked this technique into my bag of tricks, and I use it all the time. Playing golf. Getting Anna to sleep (for real - when you're that sleep deprived, you will try just about anything!). And now running. I've crossed that finish line probably a hundred times in my mind already. Every time, I'm smiling, and happy, and looking cute (did I mention I bought a new outfit just for the race?) while that Rocky music plays in the background. And I am definitely, definitely, NOT looking like this:
If you happen to be awake around 6:30 on Sunday morning, send some positive vibes my way for an "Elmo's World"-free race and sing a little Rocky theme song in my honor. Positive thinking or not, I'll need all the help I can get, especially when it comes to that pesky puppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment