Thursday, June 9, 2011

Put 'Er There, Pal

I've been elbow deep in green velvet over here for the last couple of hours, and I'm not talking about fabric. I'm talking cake - green velvet cakes that I'm baking for the 200 plus cake balls I'm making for this weekend. Yep, 200. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's for a really good cause, and the more I think about it, staining my fingers with a little bit of food coloring is really the least I could do.

A few weeks ago, I took a stash of my cake balls with me when I went to visit my sister and brother-in-law. I tried to warn them of the addictiveness of these little treats, and sure enough, one bite in and they were asking me if I could make some for Drew's upcoming golf outing. When I came across a recipe for green velvet, I knew it would be perfect - and even though green and white aren't my favorite colors, surely I could put my distaste to the side in honor of doing something charitable, right?

Somewhere along the line, Kristin also asked me if I could put together a poster with pictures and information about all the stuff their charity is involved in. I happily agreed, mostly because there's still a huge part of me that loves anything that involves Sharpies, but also because I was starting to realize just how awesome the High 5ive Foundation actually is.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I never really paid that much attention to all the stuff they do. Sure, my sister tells me about it, and I attempt to keep up with their crazy schedules (seriously, it exhausts me just thinking about it sometimes), and I've been to a few events, helping out when I can. But last night, she handed me a stack of pictures to use, and I was just about a sniffly mess looking through them.





It's probably because I'm a mama now, but seeing actual photographs of the kinds of things the foundation is providing really hit home. Because those babies that need those bubble machines to distract them when they're getting chemotherapy or see the puppets being used to show them what a CAT Scan will be like? Those babies could easily be my baby. And even though there is absolutely nothing that I can think of that would be worse than seeing Anna in need of any of that stuff, it's comforting to know that there are people like Drew and Kristin (and everyone else involved in the foundation) who are doing something to make an awful situation a tiny bit better. My love and respect for both of them has grown so much in just the last few days.

Here is an article about how Drew won the Lions' Man of the Year Award for the second year in a row.
And here is one about an event they do around the holidays.
More information about the puppets can be found here and here is a little bit about the bubble machine.

A couple hundred cake balls? No big whoop.

And in between all the rolling and dipping and decorating, I'm going to take a little extra time to hug my baby a little tighter and be thankful for all the wonderful people in our lives.

If you want more information about High 5ive (because I certainly can't do justice here to all the things they are doing), please check out the website: www.high5ivefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment