Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Where'd You Hear That, A Renaissance Festival?

It's Tuesday, you say? I am all mixed up on my days of the week right now, which I suppose is one of the joys/curses of staying home with Anna. Other than the fact that there are more people to hang out with on the weekends, most of my days are pretty much the same. Awesome because I never get that yucky Sunday night "Ugh, I have to go to work tomorrow" feeling. Lame because I also almost never get that exciting Friday afternoon "Woo hoo - two whole days of freedom" feeling. I am definitely not complaining here, just observing. With anything in life, there are positives and negatives, and for me, right now, the good things are piled up much higher than the bad.

My calender is all askew, though, because of the long Memorial Day weekend and then an extra long weekend visit from my brother-in-law T.J. It's also possible that I ate way too many bananas and am just now waking up from a food coma. Anyways, as promised, I would like to share with you some of our adventures.

It all started with a Groupon offering two-for-one admission to a Renaissance Festival in Marshall. Since it was a good deal, and neither one of us had experienced one of these magical fairs before, we decided to give it a shot. In my head, I was probably picturing the movie A Knight's Tale. You know, Heath Ledger-types running around sweeping sleep-deprived mamas fair maidens off their feet while an awesome 80s soundtrack played in the background.


I also had dreams of giant turkey legs and mugs of ale, but let's just say that it wasn't quite what I had envisioned.  First of all, there were no wenches serving beer - only one little food booth dishing out hot dogs and lemonades. And even though I knew Heath Ledger wouldn't actually be in attendance, I was a little disappointed in the lack of knights in shining armor. Well, except for one...







Anna was really digging the belly dancer.

So was this kid.

Would have been a great shot, except for the lady holding her cigarette and coffee. Way to stay in character, right?

The King and Queen of the festival!
We did have tons of fun people watching, although I'm curious to know if this particular festival was on par with others. I've heard there's a big one in Clarkston - maybe that's where all the ale swilling takes place? And even though we're not racing out the door to buy corsets and daggers and start talking in British accents, we accomplished our main goal of experiencing something totally new and different.

The rest of the weekend was spent letting Anna (and Cally) enjoy the new pool, much more our speed, turkey legs or not.




Happy Tuesday! It is Tuesday, right?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry we missed the lame-o fair but we're going to have to all go to the real one cause summer just isn't summer without watching some live-action-role-playing dudes hitting one another with fake sounds while you down a jug of ale and gnaw of a turkey leg.

    BTW Anna looks adorable in that pool!

    ReplyDelete