Monday, January 16, 2012

It's a Mixed Up, Muddled Up, Shook Up World Except for Lola

I suppose you know when you bring home a pet that, if all goes according to plan, someday you will have to say goodbye.

When that time comes, though, it's hard to remember that.

We unexpectedly lost our sweet puppy Lola last week. At seven years old, she wasn't really much of a puppy anymore, but the ferocity of her wagging tail and the glee in which she chased after squirrels and rabbits might have made you think otherwise.

L to R: Lola & Jasper, Baby Lola, swimming, the day we brought her home, hiking, best friends!, with Anna, hiking again, snow puppy


I can so vividly remember the day we brought her home at eight weeks old, a shaking, cuddly ball of chocolate brown fur who refused to be left alone.

And even though, to put it mildly, she put us through some challenging times (hello, animal behaviorist and doggy Xanax), she never wavered in her love for those in her inner circle.

She surprised us all with her love for Anna, always the first one to greet us at the door, licking Anna's face and tolerating a toddler's erratic attempts at affection.

We will miss the softness of the fur on her ears, the wetness of her nose, and the thumping of her powerful tail when she was excited or happy.

Mike's boss shared this quote, and it is quite appropriate.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them.  And every new dog that comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.  If I live long enough, all of the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -Anonymous


Our family lost a member last week. But Lola, our hearts are bigger because of you.


Lola Arends
December 5, 2004 - January 11, 2012

3 comments:

  1. Boo hoo! We will miss you, Lola. Rest in peace, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your sudden loss. Lola was really lucky to be an Arends and be in such a loving family. And I know you three are all the better for having had her in your lives. Have a feeling she's chasing squirrels and rabbits and small dogs in Doggie Heaven right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. Losing pets f-ing sucks! But it seems like you have some great memories of Lola and its those happy memories that make the loss somehow bearable.

    ReplyDelete